Thursday, July 15, 2010

I left my heart in San Francisco



Jimi Hendrix's 'All Along the Watchtower' rang in my ears all day yesterday as I explored the birthplace of free love, free sex, free drugs and, well, freedom. In the 1960s and 1970s San Fran was the hub of all things hippie including the 1967 Summer of Love where hippies congregated at Haight-Ashbury Streets and Golden Gate Park to smoke drugs, preach free love and have al fresco sex. This was closely followed by the emergence of the gay right's movement (San Fran is now dubbed the gay capital of the world).




Today hints of San Fran's history are plain to see. Many of the famous Victorian houses that line San Fran's streets are painted in 'psychadelic' bright colours. Haight-Ashbury is still a popular spot for musicians and artists. The long street is jam-packed full of vintage stores, tattoo parlours, drug paraphenelia outlets and music stores. Likewise Golden Gate Park is a popular place to sit and play music, read a book or contemplate the beauty of mother nature.




What I loved about San Francisco is its variety and size. Many of its famous locations are within walking distance from one another, or are easily serviced by buses and cable cars. Thus, one doesn't have to travel far to see all the wonders San Fran has to offer. And there are many wonders. No two block corners are the same.




From shopping mecca Union Square I managed to leisurely stroll through Chinatowown and the Italian district where I stopped for lunch at a delicious Italian cafe and watched the sun-worshippers in nearby Washington Square Park. From there I ambled up what felt like The Steepest Street In The World to the Crookedest Street In The World. A quick cable-car ride later (where I literally hung onto the side like in the movies) and I was in Alamo Square where the famous 'Painted Ladies' reside in all their beauty. A relaxing stroll through Golden Gate's Shakespeare Garden later and I feel like a local.




Something tells me I'll be back.





No comments:

Post a Comment