Monday, December 5, 2011

Vienna

Despite being a frequent traveller and a frequent writer, I very rarely collaborate the two. Rifling through my blog I've realised I don't actually write about any of my trips. In actual fact, I think I've subconsciously decided that writing about the minutae of travelling and exploring is boring. Which is ridiculous.

Tonight I ran a hot bath and bought two pieces of reading material with me- Lonely Planet's 'Tales from Nowhere' ( a collection of short stories). And the diary I kept while I travelled around the U.S and Europe last year.

Lonely Planet stayed on the floor.

So here is my challenge- pick a favorite photo from each of my trips and explain it to you. Not in a Times section , this is where we went, this is what we ate and this is how much it cost kind of way, but hopefully in a way that sets the scene and sums up what I love about exploring.

Here goes.





Oven mitts- embarassing unprepared travellers since Winter 2011. This is what I think of when I look at this picture. So my friend Renee, from Chicago, travelled with me to Vienna in late November this year. Renee tried explaining the temperature to me, but she was talking Farenheit so I failed to grasp that 30 degrees Farenheit was ZERO DEGREES.

So I had a small heart attack on our Easy Jet flight when the pilot introduced Vienna to us and I realised that it was going to be a cold, possibly snowy weekend. These mittens were a desperate purchase from H&M at Stephanzplatz which is the main shopping area in Vienna. I purchased the most obnoxious, warm looking mitts I could find.

Nevermind the fact that I had Edward Scissorhand type situations for a few days as I tried to pick things up with my mitts.

After this photo was taken Renee and I braved the cold through the swankier area where rich husbands were taking their fur-clad wives to buy jewellery at Tiffany and handbags at Chanel. To be fair, this trip was mostly about eating and each small walk or sightseeing venture was immediately intertwined with a trip to a cafe where almost every single waiter wore a suit and strudel and chocolate cake were lunch. So we went to a cafe after this and had baileys coffees and cake.






No comments:

Post a Comment